Spring Events Calendar 2020
* Wed Jan 29th at 19.30: Children of the Camps. A talk by Mike Neighbour about children born in displaced persons’ camps. Also annual membership renewal £12. Fleetville Community Centre; Guests £4.
* Wed Feb 26th at 19:30: Bart’s in Herts. Sarah Graham and Sue Gaylard recall the removal of St Bartholomew’s Teaching Hospital to Hill End in 1939. Fleetville Community Centre; guests £4.
* Sat March 21st: Excursion: Cinema Museum, Lambeth at 14:00. Entry £7.00 per person. Book your place via firstname.lastname@example.org Travel details to be forwarded later.
* Wed March 25th at 19.30: The Straw Hat Industry in St Albans. When did this key industry start and who were its leaders? Jon Mein weaves the story. Fleetville Community Centre; guests £4
* Wed April 29th at 19:30: St Albans: a 20th Century Odyssey. A virtual tour led by St Albans Tour Guides. Fleetville Community Centre; guests £4
* Fri May 15th at 10:00: Excursion: The Hospitals in Highfield Park. A morning in the Park with Sarah Graham and Sue Gaylard, including a 1.5 hour walk followed by a small exhibition and light refreshment. Suggested donation to HPT £4.00 pp; advance booking not necessary; meet at the Visitor Centre, Hill End Lane.
* Sat May 23rd at 14:00: Laid to Rest: The Baker’s Dozen. A guided story walk visiting a few of the earliest burials at Hatfield Road Cemetery; meet outside the Cemetery Chapel; guests £4.
Fleetville Diaries is an organisation dedicated to recording the past life of this eastern suburb of the beautiful city of St Albans, Hertfordshire. Fleetville came into existence at the turn of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries with the arrival of a number of manufacturing concerns.
Our current projects are:
BALLITO – As one of the foremost large businesses in Fleetville, Ballito Hosiery Mill made silk and then nylon stockings. 2020 is the second and final year in our exploration of this hugely successful firm. If you can help us in this research, please write to us using the Contact page.
FLEETVILLE INFANTS SCHOOL – We are now in our second year working with the Year 1 and Year 2 classes in their local history activities.
WIKIPEDIA ENTRY – After a delay we are finally creating an entry for Fleetville to be included in the online encyclopaedia. Currently there is no reference to the district and we would like to put that right.
FLEETVILLE STREETSCAPES – An exploration of planning, architecture, accident and expediency in the making of Fleetville’s neighbourhood.